The holiday catalog I received from Heifer International really
hit its marks as a marketing piece. Why I think HI did a great job creating it:
- They had to intrigue me, as I had never heard of them or their mission.
- They made a bold claim: “The Most Important Gift Catalog in the World” Really? How could this possibly be so much more important than all the other catalogs I received this season? I had to find out the answer.
- They added “Special 2012 Holiday Edition” as a further inducement.
- They answered my questions right on page two inside:
They use donations “from people like me” to provide livestock and training in how to care for it to people in disadvantaged locations.
- They had two great explanatory lines that captured their key value proposition:
“You see, giving an animal is like giving a small business. And small businesses can lead to very big changes.”
“Igniting Self-Reliance Since 1944″
Here is an entire organization built around the old adage:
“Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.”
Heifer International is doing both:
- Giving a person a sheep/goat/cow/llama/bee hive.
- Then teaching that person how to make that gift last a lifetime.
I am impressed! I can’t decide whether to give a flock of ducks, a set of tree seedlings or that bee hive, but I will take action!
If this fits your bill with regards to how you like to help people, check Heifer International out right here.
Enjoy the rest of the holiday season, but find a cause worth supporting as part of how you make the most of your celebrations!
(And if you have an organization that did a great job convincing you to give this year, let us know who they are and how they did it in a comment below.)